Monday, September 14, 2009

Back in the air again!

Hi everyone!
Today was my first day back in the air sine I returned from Iraq and it was GREAT!
Am I a top notch pilot?
Will I be the next instructor at Top Gun?
Not so much.......
I couldn't remember everything I needed to about the aircraft checkout process from the FBO or even the airport procedures or layout.
Good thing that I had Steve my instructor right there next to me the entire time.
In truth, I was pretty nervous today, I had forgotten how bumpy it can be in a Cessna with a little wind and not the nicest of days this week.
I actually felt pretty off and a little spooked as the plane was being tossed around because it has been so long and I really didn't feel in control of anything.
The Olympia airport (KOLM) is fairly busy and today was no exception, there was a Army Black Hawk, a Luscomb and a Piaggio Avanti to name just a few that I was sharing the pattern with.
Because of the poor weather today I spent some time just flying around getting used to being back in control of an airplane again before returning for a few touch and goes.
I felt a little better by the time we got back to the airport and was starting to have a little more fun again but was still a little nervous.
After a few firm but decent landings I was done for the day.
On my way back to the office I was talking to one of the guys hanging around the FBO and he commented on my landings and compared them to a different student that was also doing a few T&Gs at the same time.
He liked my landings while the other guys were pretty poor as far as he was saying, the best part was that he didn't know I had been out flying yet so he wasn't just being nice.
I'm back in the air so keep your ears open for N856DA and we'll see you out there!

No comments:


AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com