Tuesday, October 06, 2009

First Solo




To sum it all up: It was GREAT!!!!

After the day I had on Friday I didn't think there was much of a chance of it happening today. When I got to the airport the weather was about as good as I could hope for but my plane was sitting there in pieces.

The school has a second 172 but its got the 180hp conversion and I had never flown it. I thought that maybe I'd go flying in that plane but never guessed that it would be so smooth to fly.

After doing a couple power off stalls, slow flight and steep turns we headed back to the field for some T&Gs.

Things were going pretty smooth and I was taking the normal ribbing about not liking to pull the power out while close to the ground, more right rudder on climb out and some tips for engine out practice.

We had already been at it for about 1.5 so when I was told to make it a full stop I figured I was done.

After we got back to the school Steve jumped out and said have fun.

During my run up I double and triple checked EVERYTHING to make sure I wasn't going to do something stupid.

My first take off was nice and smooth with an easy turn out and set up on the downwind. I must say that I was right on the numbers and I actually held it off as long as Steve had been trying to get me to during my other landings. The takeoff was normal but the second landing was a little bouncy.

I had too much speed over the fence and skipped a little but it wasn't a big deal. My take off was a little rough though..... Some how I got my foot stuck under the right rudder at about 100 feet AGL. I wasn't too happy with that and lowered the nose to pull the power back and set her down on the remaining 3000 feet of runway when my foot popped out from under the pedal.

I pitched back up and continued around for my 3rd and last landing, It wasn't as good as the first but better than the second.

As I headed back to parking I looked over at the empty seat and started looking forward to my next trip by myself. :)

I count that as a great day!!!





No comments:


AVIATION TOP 100 - www.avitop.com Avitop.com